Chaos Brewing Among House Democrats Over Pelosi?
Roll Call, in a brutal story for Nancy Pelosi and the future of House Democratic Caucus, reported that “younger House Democrats [are] getting restless as senior leadership shows no signs of going anywhere.” Pelosi has remained the Democratic leader despite three consecutive electoral losses. Several quotes from Democratic members highlight the discontent within the caucus:
- Rep. Michael Capuano (D-MA): “I want some people in their 70s and 80s at the table. I don’t want only 70s and 80s at the table.”
- Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA): “We’re losing people of stature who many would have assumed would be next in line.”
- Rep. Seth Moulton (D-CA): “Until we start promoting based on merit, not based on seniority, whether implicitly or explicitly, I don’t think they are doing enough.”
- Former Rep. Martin Frost (D-TX): “We have a generation problem. … We’ve got to find a way for younger people to get exposure.”
- Rep. Bill Foster (D-IL): “I think that because our political environment is changing fairly rapidly, I think there’s an argument for having a smaller lifespan for leadership. … Her style of leadership is very personal. It’s not delegatable.”
Despite all of the negative criticism, Pelosi remains insistent that everything is going fine among Democrats, defends the seniority system, and shows no signs of leaving anytime soon.