October 4, 2016

Tim Kaine: Terrorism Is Dead

Senator Tim Kaine is going to want to get this one back. The Democratic Vice Presidential nominee was already having a pretty bad night during the only Vice Presidential debate, and then trying to defend the Obama-Clinton record on terrorism, he actually claimed that the terrorism threat has decreased. The reality just does not support Senator Kaine’s claim. See below for the many ways the world has gotten much more dangerous under Obama and Clinton’s failed national security policy:

Boko Haram:

Clinton’s State Department Fought To Keep Boko Haram Off Its Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) List For Two Years. “The State Department under Hillary Clinton fought hard against placing the al Qaeda-linked militant group Boko Haram on its official list of foreign terrorist organizations for two years. And now, lawmakers and former U.S. officials are saying that the decision may have hampered the American government’s ability to confront the Nigerian group that shocked the world by abducting hundreds of innocent girls.” (Josh Rogin, “Hillary’s State Department Refused To Brand Boko Haram As Terrorists,” The Daily Beast, 5/7/14)

In 2014, Boko Haram Killed Over 6,000 Civilians, Accounting For Nearly Half Of All Civilian Deaths In African War Zones That Year. “The campaign of terror by Nigeria’s Islamist insurgency Boko Haram was responsible for nearly half of all civilian deaths in African war zones last year, according to research that highlights the group’s tactic of targeting non-combatants. Fighting associated with Boko Haram killed 6,347 civilians in 2014, said the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (Acled), an academic group that uses media reports to monitor violence in conflicts. The number of civilians killed in areas such as Nigeria, Central African Republic (CAR) and South Sudan rose by 30% last year to 13,508 deaths, the group said.” (Mark Anderson, “Nigeria Suffers Highest Number Of Civilian Deaths In African War Zones,” The Guardian, 1/23/15)

ISIS:

VIDEO: When Asked During A December 2015 Interview With The Concord Monitor Editorial Board If She Disagreed With Anything In President Obama’s ISIS Address, Clinton Said That Obama’s “Take On What Needs To Be Done Is Close To Mine.” QUESTION: “Anything you would say differently or disagreed with, with respect to President Obama’s address from last night?” CLINTON: “I was really happy that he made the address. I thought it was very important for him to address the nation. I think his take on what needs to be done is close to mine. I think we have to intensify and accelerate and really get the world behind us and that’s why I’ve laid out my own views on this. But I was very pleased that he addressed the country because people are scared.”(Hillary Clinton, Remarks At A Meeting With The Concord Monitor Editorial Board, 12/8/15)

VIDEO: In A January 2016 Interview, Obama’s Former Secretary Of Defense Robert Gates Said, “I Think That The President And His Advisers Have Underestimated ISIS All Along.” GATES: “… I think this is a very long term problem. I think that the president and his advisers have underestimated ISIS all along. I think, you asked me what I think the greatest threat is. My own view is the greatest threat to American national security is to be found within the two square miles that encompass the Capitol building and the White House. If we can’t figure out a way to work together and solve some of these problems, both internally and in terms of foreign policy, then I think that poses the biggest risk to us in terms of looking at the future.” (Robert Gates, Interview With Yahoo News, 1/19/16) Minute 7:53-11:46