May 2, 2014

Top 5 Most Shocking Benghazi Updates This Week

Hillary_Clinton-08e5b

 

#1. Senior officials at the White House directed Susan Rice to stress that the Benghazi attack was in response to a YouTube video, and not a policy failure. Read more about it here.

#2. Previously the White House has said it released all of its e-mails about the Benghazi talking points. When asked by a reporter why the e-mail revealing White House officials instructed Susan Rice to blame the Benghazi attack on a YouTube video was not released earlier, White House spokesman Jay Carney said the e-mail was not actually about Benghazi. Watch the exchange between the reporter and Jay Carney here.

#3. A new e-mail released this week revealed that the State Department knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack the day after the attack. The State Department and Hillary Clinton would not publicly call it a terrorist attack until weeks after despite this knowledge. Watch the congressional testimony.

#4. The general of American forces in Africa, Brigadier General Lovell, testified that the State Department needed to request military action during the Benghazi attack which it did not. The State Department’s failure to do so may have caused a delay in the response by the military. Watch the congressional testimony.

#5. Brigadier General Lovell also testified that the military should have at least tried to get to Benghazi. Asked whether the military could have done anything to save lives, General Lovell responded, “We may have been able to, but we’ll never know”. Read more about it here.